This was done in Photoshop using only filters and applied to the image as a whole without standard masking like I would usually use.
To start with I took a photo of my son wearing a shirt with blue highlights and holding a globe from a yard light that had a lot of blue swirled in the glass with a Sony Alpha A-55 set to blue-channe effects where it turned everything but the blue channel to black and white.
After that I took the image into Photoshop,
- duplicated the base layer
- added the stained glass filter to that level,
- added a gradient fill layer from black to transparent from bottom to top
- reduced the opacity of that layer to 75%
- copied the original base layer and placed it on top and set the blend mode to lighten
- copied the gradient fill layer and rotated it 180 degrees (to get rid of the extraneous stained glass effect in the face.) and cropped the whole image to get just the focal character.
- added the crosshatch filter with the basic settings for a more artsy feel.
note. you’ll probably need to look at the full size image to see the effect.